I would want you to read this report of xenadrine before you rush to buy it. It will help you to decide if it will be right for you or not. investigate this site In 2003, Michael O. Johnson joined Herbalife as CEO following a 17-year career with The Walt Disney Company, most recently as president of Walt Disney International. On December 16 2004 the company had an initial public offering on the NYSE of 14,500,000 common shares at $14share. 2004 net sales were reported as $1.3 billion. In April 2005, the company celebrated its 25th anniversary with a four-day event attended by 35,000 Herbalife Independent Distributors from around the world. In August 2005, Dr. Steve Henig joined the company as Chief Scientific Officer, responsible for product research and development. weight loss supplement Phen375 is the best diet pill available and always gives the great results customers want from a good fat burner. There are easy ways in which you can take advantage of Phen375 to gain even better results to end up with an even more impressive weight loss. the advantage The next thing you will want to figure out is exactly how much you are gonna need to eat. This can be done quite easily, there are many different websites online where you can put in your information for you body type and it will tell you exactly how much you need to eat.You can also get a calorie counter to help you easily know how many calories are in each food you wanting to eat or you have arranged for your diet. After you put in your information and figure out your calorie count for weight loss and getting a great 6 pack you will need to put it all together and hit the store ( unless of course you already have all this stuff) . diet pills weight loss zotrik slim slimming How To Prevent And Reverse Muscle Loss As We Age you can look here Friend and Foe Alike: Missouri's Civil War Tour Guide. The blog about the Civil War in MO.

A Cemetery in Hannibal

When first I heard that Hannibal’s Old Baptist Cemetery has graves of two veterans of the 55th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, I thought to myself, here are men who transplanted themselves to Missouri after the Civil War.  Peel back the pages of history, though, and what is revealed is a remarkable story.

The 55th regiment was the second African-American fighting unit enrolled in Massachusetts.  Its famous cousin, the 54th Massachusetts Infantry, fought at Fort Wagner in ’63.  It was the 54th that made movie stars of Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman (the 1989 film Glory).  Soon after the effective date of Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, the Governor of Massachusetts sought and received the permission of the War Department to enroll African-American troops; soon after that, the Governor realized that there were not enough young men of African descent in Massachusetts to fill a regiment.  Some of the men who were Governor Andrews’ advisors were the same men who armed Kansas immigrants in the 1850s. George L. Stearns was one of them.  Stearns organized a national recruiting effort, and he went to places where populations of African-Americans of military age were abundant.  So, he opened a recruiting office in St. Louis, and agents of the Massachusetts Governor went into Missouri counties such as Marion, Pike and Ralls.

Stearns’ recruiting mission was so successful that Massachusetts formed a second regiment with the excess recruits, the 55th.  While some of the Missouri men who volunteered entered the ranks of the famous 54th, dozens of them found their way into the 55th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry.  William Morrison and Richard Miller were two of these men.  It is no accident that they are buried in Hannibal. They returned home, after their unit distinguished itself in the sea islands of the South Carolina shore, and lived out their lives in Missouri.  Corporal Morrison and Private Miller were there, we should presume, when the 55th regiment was among the first Union troops that marched into Charleston, South Carolina, after the fall of the city that was the cradle of Confederate hopes. The occupation of Charleston by African-American troops, on February 21, 1865, was hugely symbolic, as the men of Boston no doubt intended it to be.

The Old Baptist Cemetery in Hannibal holds a place in literary history: Most people who speculate on the subject will tell you that it is the “graveyard of the old-fashioned Western kind” where Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn witnessed the murder of Doc Robinson.  But, almost every square foot of this great river town that Mark Twain immortalized in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer has a place in literary history.  Old Baptist Cemetery holds a treasure of another kind, stone memories of common men, banded together, who changed history.

photos by Kelly Suellentrop
Ballwin, MO

 

I’D RATHER HAVE THAT EAGLE . . . (Part 2 of 2)

Part 1 describes the 8th Wisconsin Infantry’s entry into the State of Missouri in October, 1861, with their eagle mascot, “Old Abe.”  Old Abe heard the sounds of battle the first time at Fredericktown, Missouri, on October 21, 1861.

The Wisconsin men left Missouri for Cairo, Illinois in January, 1862, when Ulysses Grant left the relative safety of that place to march on Forts Donelson and Henry.  The Eighth Regiment had a small part to play in the Island No. 10 campaign, entering New Madrid, Missouri, on April 7, 1862.  Soon the men were on transports steaming up the Tennessee River.  They landed at Hamburg, Tennessee, near the battlefield of Shiloh, following in Grant’s wake.

History records that at the Battle of Farmington, Mississippi, on May 9, 1862, the Eighth Wisconsin Regiment first went into battle.  Old Abe was close to the fighting – closer than he was in Fredericktown.  Guard duty in northern Mississippi and Alabama occupied the summer, until a Confederate force commanded by Missouri’s own Sterling Price threatened the Union’s hold on Corinth, Mississippi.  Price attacked, pushing the Union troops from their outer trenches.  As the battle for Corinth reached its climax, Old Abe broke his tether and soared over the heads of the Confederates.  He invigorated the Union defenders.  General Price was reportedly moved to say:

“That bird must be captured or killed at all hazards. I would rather get that eagle than capture a whole brigade or a dozen battle flags.”

Corinth, October 3-4, 1862, was Old Abe’s finest hour.  But as the Wisconsin Historical Society reports, all together he witnessed 37 battles or engagements in the Civil War.  He was wounded once or twice, some say.  When the Eighth Wisconsin returned to Madison in 1864, the men presented their mascot to the Governor.  Old Abe lived in a special room in the Wisconsin Capitol until 1881, when he died as the result of a fire.  He was revered then; he is revered now.  A bronze likeness stares down from a perch above the rostrum of the Wisconsin State Assembly chambers.

After World War I, the 101st U. S. Army Division was reconstituted a reserve unit with headquarters in Milwaukee.  Called up in World War II, the unit retained its numerical designation and a shoulder patch honoring Wisconsin’s famous eagle, as it moved into airborne operations.  The “Band of Brothers” of Normandy fame, the Screaming Eagles of the 101st Airborne Division, trace their lineage to a day long ago in Fredericktown, Missouri.

I’D RATHER HAVE THAT EAGLE . . . (Part 1 of 2)

The most famous Civil War mascot was a young eagle from Wisconsin.  “Old Abe,” as he was known by the men of the 8th

Old Abe

Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, arrived in Missouri on October 14, 1861.  He escaped from his handlers as the Wisconsin soldiers marched through north St. Louis, bound for Benton Barracks.  Old Abe soared through the neighborhood, landing on a mansion’s chimney, giving the men a fright.  But he allowed himself to be captured by a constable and he returned to the regiment.  The Eagle Regiment’s first day in the Civil War was an eventful one.

The Wisconsin boys joined up in northern Wisconsin; they trained in Madison and moved to Chicago as they prepared to enter the war.  Their young eagle – seemingly trained – was already acknowledged as a novelty when St. Louis first saw him.  Old Abe was about to become an institution.

The day after the eagle arrived in St. Louis, on October 15, M. Jeff Thompson (Missouri’s legendary Swamp Fox of the Confederacy) captured and burned a railroad bridge on the Big River just south of Desoto, Missouri.  The 8th Wisconsin rushed to the scene, the men laying on their arms in the rain in Desoto that very night, arriving at the bridge on the 16th of October.  Thompson was gone.  The regiment and its eagle mascot proceeded south another 20 miles, to Pilot Knob, and there went into bivouac.

Thompson had not left the scene all together.  A few days after he assaulted the Big River Bridge, Thompson was reported to be at Fredericktown, Missouri.  Union soldiers stationed at Pilot Knob and Cape Girardeau were ordered to converge on Thompson’s force, and so the Eagle Regiment marched east on October 20 with three other regiments of infantry.  The next morning, October 21st, Thompson attacked at Fredericktown.  The Eighth Wisconsin – only a week in the war zone – was told to guard the Union baggage train assembled near the courthouse, a mile from the battle.  Old Abe was tethered to the courthouse roof, out of the way.  Then as the boom of cannon and rattle of small arms reached the courthouse, Old Abe spread his wings, he screeched and cried.  The eagle screamed.

The 8th Wisconsin did not go into battle at Fredericktown.  Once the battle was over, eventually the new regiment went into winter camp south of St. Louis, on the Mississippi near present day Imperial in Jefferson County.  The men and the eagle remained at Camp Curtis until January 17, 1862, then joined Ulysses Grant and the Union’s drive into Tennessee.

U. S. GRANT – FRIENDS WITH FOES

A remembrance for the 191st anniversary of the birth of Ulysses S. Grant:

Grant’s strengths and his faults have been debated for well over a century.  I can relate two little known incidents that illustrate what was, simultaneously, his most disarming and undoing personal trait.  Grant was fiercely loyal to people who befriended him.

Grant spent some his most challenging years in St. Louis, 1854-1860, moving about in the Southern society of his wife’s family, centered in Southwest St. Louis County.  This was then a very rural world; he counted as his “neighbors” people who lived many miles from his Hardscrabble Farm.

Case 1:  Dr. James A. Barrett

Dr. Barrett (some times spelled Barret) was a member of a prominent Virginia/Kentucky clan that emigrated to St. Louis before the Civil War.  In 1864, he along with a cousin (pre-War U. S. Congressman John Richard Barrett) became embroiled in a national controversy.   An investigation got underway into the activities of a clandestine group of Southern supporters known as the Sons of Liberty.  James Barrett was targeted as a member of the “Northwest Conspiracy,” alleged to be a massive operation to aid the Confederate war effort and overthrow the government of the United States.  The investigation, centered on the Son of Liberty’s activities in Missouri and Indiana, snared Indiana copperhead congressman Clement L. Vallandigham and others.  Later in the year, one Lambdin P. Milligan and four others were tried by a military tribunal in Indianapolis – the trial timed to precede the national elections in November, 1864. Milligan was sentenced to hang.  He was freed when the U. S. Supreme Court in 1866 issued a landmark Opinion, Ex Parte Milligan, which held that military courts had no jurisdiction to try civilians where civil courts were operating.

Dr. James Barrett of St. Louis was an unindicted conspirator in the trial of Lambdin Milligan. His activities were prominently noted in the testimony of witnesses.  But Barrett was not brought to trial.

On June 25, 1864, Ulysses Grant sent a telegram from headquarters in City Point, Virginia, to the Secretary of War.

“I will feel obliged to you if you will order General Rosecrans to release Dr. J. A. Barrett [on bail],. . . or to give him an immediate trial. The doctor is a copperhead, but I have no idea that he has done anything more than that class of people are constantly doing, and not so much.  He was a neighbor of mine, a clever man, and has a practice in the neighborhood which it will be very inconvenient to other people than himself to have interrupted.”

Grant arrived in City Point ten days before he paused to write his telegram to Secretary Stanton.  He had just completed another of his master strokes, outflanking Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia after Cold Harbor and landing in Lee’s rear at Petersburg.  Grant had on his mind the plight of a country doctor who once supported him in his bid to become County Engineer in St. Louis.

Stanton relented. Rosecrans fumed.  The matter reached the desk of Abraham Lincoln, who wrote to Rosecrans: “When did the Sec. of War telegraph you to release Dr. Barrett? If it is an old thing, let it stand till you hear further.”

Case 2:  General John McCausland

“Tiger John” McCausland graduated first in the VMI class of 1857.  When the Civil War began, McCausland organized Virginia’s Rockbridge Artillery, then served in successively more important command positions in the Confederate army.  He famously escaped from Ft. Donelson in 1862, before Grant captured the place and most of the army that defended it.  As a Brigadier General of cavalry in 1865, he even escaped Grant at Appomattox.

Tiger John McCausland

McCausland’s military reputation, otherwise distinguished, was stained by the burning of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, in July, 1864.  Under orders of his superiors, McCausland entered the town and demanded payment of reparations for Union depradations in the Shenandoah Valley.  When his demand was refused, he burned the town.  At the close of the War, McCausland was indicted by a Pennsylvania grand jury for arson; He lived in Mexico and in Europe for a time, finally returning to the United States in 1867 after Ulysses Grant intervened to quash the Pennsylvania indictment.

Tiger John McCausland was born in St. Louis in 1836, son of a John McCausland who gave the name to McCausland Avenue.  The elder McCausland owned large tracts of land in downtown St. Louis, and devised St. Louis’ first system of taxation.  He died the same year his wife died, 1843, leaving John and his brother orphans.  In 1847, John moved to what is now West Virginia to be raised by an uncle.  He had lived with his paternal grandmother in St. Louis County before leaving for the east, but no doubt often visited his aunt Elizabeth Marshall at her home “Fairfax,” restored and standing in Rock Hill near Manchester Road.

The National Register application for McCausland’s post-war home near Henderson, West Virginia states that Ulysses Grant was “an old family friend of the McCauslands.”  Enough said.

GRANT'S SPRING

There is a spring that flows on the grounds of a church in Ironton, Missouri, as it has flowed since 1861, and no doubt for eons before that.  The spring has gained some improvements over the years – a gazebo, and near by a bronze statue that commemorates an event in the life of Ulysses Grant.  What the Ironton spring lacks is the notoriety it deserves.

Ironton, Missouri

It is a fact that U. S. Grant received his commission as Brigadier General in his tent near the spring, while he commanded Union troops in Ironton in August, 1861.  It is true that in 1886, not long after the General’s passing, veterans of his first regiment erected a statue of a lone infantryman where his tent stood.  Although Ironton is full of Civil War history, because a bloody battle was fought there in 1864, the statue by the spring would be reason enough for U. S. Grant fans to find their way to the Ste. Marie du Lac Catholic Church.

As a matter of legend and lore, and perhaps as a matter of fact, the Ironton spring is far more important.  According to a man who ought to have known, General Grant sipped from this spring in 1861 and he said:

“This water runs into the Mississippi, the Mississippi into the sea; and it must run with unfettered freedom.”

John Wesley Emerson, born in Massachusetts to the family that gave us Ralph Waldo, was an early settler in Ironton.  The town sprung up just years before the Civil War, when a railroad reached there from St. Louis.  Emerson – later Colonel of a Missouri regiment of infantry – was a country lawyer when Grant came to town.  As Emerson wrote in 1898, he made his acquaintance with the new general and within several days Grant asked if Emerson had a map of the Mississippi valley.  Grant sat with Emerson’s map, at a pine table outside his tent, and marked Xs and lines – some in the direction of the great bend of the Tennessee River we know for Shiloh.  Emerson gushed that Grant sat at that table and formulated his great campaign to open the Mississippi River, “the final accomplishment of which was to eventually bring him imperishable renown.”

Emerson was a great admirer of Grant.  He accomplished many things in the legal world and he built a fortune in investments.  An indication of his high regard for the General: after the War, Emerson purchased a grand estate that occupied the Ironton ground that had been Grant’s headquarters.  He saw to it that the statue was erected at the place that he remembered to be the site of Grant’s tent.  In his declining years, he determined to become one of Grant’s biographers.  What Emerson did accomplish, before he died in 1899, was a series of articles carried over the course of several years by the Midland Monthly magazine.  Emerson covered the whole scope of Grant’s life and career.  His installment of January, 1898, is the one that tempts us to believe that the campaign that ended at Vicksburg began at a remote Missouri spring.

John Wesley Emerson’s name lives on through a start-up company he funded in 1890, Emerson Electric Company of St. Louis.

 

Pasta King of St. Louis

John Baptiste Gandolfo journeyed far in nearly 80 years of life.  Born in 1842 in Allasio, on the Italian Riviera, it was happenstance that brought him to St. Louis in 1864.  His regiment, the 178th New York infantry, was rushed here to meet the threat of a Confederate invasion.  As a captain, he commanded his regiment during the October 1, 1864 battle at Pacific, Missouri.  His Civil War service ended in Montgomery, Alabama in 1866; there, he commanded the Union occupiers of the town that had been the cradle of the Confederacy in 1861.  He met and married a Mobile belle, and together they moved to St. Louis in 1870.

In 1876, Gandolfo co-founded the Gandolfo-Ghio Manufacturing Company, and engaged in the manufacture of spaghetti and macaroni, and other food products, on South 8th Street in St. Louis. His company, which changed its name to Checker Food Products, later entered the cereal business and grew to become a major competitor to Ralston Purina.  Over the course of 20 years, long after Gandolfo passed away, the two companies fought out the rights to the Checkerboard and Chex brands.

John Gandolfo died in 1922, and is buried at the Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery south of St. Louis.  Checker Food Products is still with us.

A JEWEL IN ROCK HILL

The Rock Hill Presbyterian Church

James Collier Marshall was born on the eastern shore of Maryland in 1804, among the estuaries of the Atlantic and along a creek named for his family.  His birth occurred in the third year of the incumbency of Chief Justice John Marshall, his third cousin (twice removed).  Their common ancestor settled in Westmoreland County, Virginia, a matter of miles from the birthplaces of George Washington, James Madison and Robert E. Lee.  James Marshall’s father took his family east, settling in Maryland, 100 miles from the ancestral home.  James, though, joined the great western migration in 1838 or ‘39.  He came to rest at the intersection of Manchester Road and Rock Hill Road in St. Louis County, where he lived until he passed away in 1864.

In 1840, James married Elizabeth McCausland of St. Louis.  Over the next quarter-century, James and Elizabeth prospered in St. Louis, acquiring large tracts of land in Rock Hill and where Webster Groves is now.  They gave their name to Marshall Road in Webster, and to the Marshall Road in Kirkwood and Valley Park, where they owned land also.  They were traders and shopkeepers, and they operated a stagecoach stop on old Manchester Road when it was a major artery to the west.  In 1841, they built a home there they called “Fairfax,” which still stands (though not at its original location) on Manchester a little east of Rock Hill Road.

Elizabeth McCausland Marshall was the sister of John McCausland, after whom McCausland Avenue in St. Louis is named.  The brother was a major landholder in St. Louis, including tracts he owned downtown.  Elizabeth and John were part of an extended clan, which included the Kyles of Virginia, who were merchants in Lynchburg before they headed west to St. Louis.  John McCausland died in 1843, and his wife Harriet Kyle McCausland followed him in death a month later.  Left orphaned were St. Louis-born sons John and Robert, both under ten years of age. The McCauslands hailed originally from Scotland, but for a least a century they lived in County Tyron, Northern Ireland.  Elizabeth, who was born there, came to America about 1800 with her parents.  She and her 10 siblings were raised solidly in the Presbyterian faith.

Presbyterians were wracked by factionalism in the years before the Civil War, much of it brought on by the issue of slavery.  In 1861, the Church split into northern and southern denominations, a rift that did not heal officially until a reunification in 1983.   A story from the folks at the Fairfax house – not verified by this author – is that the Presbyterian congregation in Rock Hill split along these lines, so much so that pro-slavery people sat on one side of the church, those opposing slavery on the other.   On which side sat the Marshalls is an intriguing, but unanswerable, question.

Artemus Bullard was born in Northbridge, Massachusetts in 1802.  He attended Amherst College, as did his brother who roomed with a young man by the name of Henry Ward Beecher.  Artemus’ sister Eunice married Henry Beecher in 1837.  The Bullards and the Beechers were Congregationalists, descended from English Calvinist cousins to the Scottish Presbyterians. Artemus Bullard was ordained a minister of the Congregational Church.  In 1838 he accepted a position with the First Presbyterian Church of St. Louis, where he engaged in missionary work.  His work led him to establish one of the earliest Presbyterian churches in the “country” that surrounded St. Louis, in Rock Hill.  A church was built there in 1845, at the northeast corner of Manchester and Rock Hill Road, on land James C. Marshall donated.  Marshall’s slaves constructed the church of limestone blocks quarried on his property.  Until 2010, the Rock Hill Presbyterian Church was the oldest west of the Mississippi to operate continuously in the same structure.

In 1850, Artemus Bullard built the Webster College for Boys on land donated by James C. Marshall.  Named for Massachusetts Senator Daniel Webster, the institution predated the town that grew up near it – Webster Groves was named for the school that Bullard and Marshall built.  Bullard brought Congregationalist teachers from New England to staff the College, and they in turn were some of the earliest settlers of Webster Groves. The school closed in 1859, but after the Civil War it was reopened as a home for children orphaned in the war.  The original building stands where it was built, on the grounds of today’s Edgewood Children’s Center.

Henry Ward Beecher was a famous, fiery orator and abolitionist preacher in New York whose sister Harriet Beecher Stowe authored Uncle Tom’s Cabin.  There is in the historic record one brief, early mention of Artemus Bullard’s apathy towards the slavery question.  All in all though, particularly considering his lineage, one cannot escape the conclusion that Bullard was firmly in the anti-slavery camp of the Presbyterian Church by the 1850s.

James Marshall owned slaves.  According to the 1850 census, James held eight men and women in bondage.  The oldest slave he owned was 75 years of age at that time, and the youngest, 14.  Marshall had been in Missouri 12 years in 1850.  He continued to own slaves, seven by the count taken in 1860.

Why then this alliance between the slave-owner Marshall and the Massachusetts-bred minister? The book North Webster: A Photographic History of a Black Community (published by the Webster Groves Historical Society in 1993) points out that James Marshall freed some of his slaves in 1863.  Property he gave to them laid the foundation of the historic African American community in Webster Groves.  The book claims that Marshall’s slaves asked to help in the construction of the Rock Hill church, and attended services there along with whites after it was built.  The answer probably lies with Elizabeth.  The Presbyterian McCauslands, of the merchant class, transplanted from Ireland just a generation before, likely were neither slave-owners nor slavery supporters. It was Elizabeth, one suspects, who sought to bring religion to the wilds of Rock Hill and who enlisted a minister of her own faith to do so.

What is possible is that Rock Hill holds a story of two southern families growing in their appreciation of human freedom during the years before the Civil War.  Certainly, important African American history is rooted here.  Presbyterians should consider their old church a shrine.

If there is not enough history for you at the corner of Manchester and Rock Hill Roads, consider John McCausland, the orphaned nephew of Elizabeth Marshall.  Most certainly he visited Fairfax in Rock Hill many times as a boy.  The house was brand-new when John was five years old. He lived with his grandmother in St. Louis for several years after his parents died in 1843.  Then, John and his brother went to live with an uncle in Virginia.  He attended the Virginia

Tiger John McCausland

Military Institute, and upon graduation became an instructor of artillery reporting to Thomas J. Jackson.  He entered the service of the Confederate Army at the beginning the Civil War.  Known as “Tiger John” McCausland, he is vilified for the burning of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, and revered by the people of Lynchburg, Virginia, which he defended in 1864.  When he passed away in 1927, he was the second-oldest surviving General of the Confederate Army.  McCausland died in his home “Grape Hill,” standing today near Henderson, West Virginia, on an estate he started with the fortune his father made in St. Louis.

The Castle on Meridian Hill

1920 View of Henderson's Castle

Near Meridian Hill Park in Washington, DC, at Florida Avenue and 16th Street, stands a stone gate, a remnant of a structure razed in 1949.  It is a reminder of the time when this neighborhood was Washington’s Embassy Row, a brainchild of Washington grande dame Mary Foote Henderson.  Henderson built a number of palatial residences in the 1910s and ‘20s that she rented to socialites and to foreign governments.  The Polish Embassy, at 2640 Sixteenth Street, NW, survives from this era.

Mary Henderson lived where the stone gate stands at Florida Avenue, in a mansion known as Henderson’s Castle.  The Castle was built in 1888 by Mary and her husband, former U. S. Senator John Brooks Henderson.  The Castle’s history stretches back in time, to the early days of Missouri’s Civil War.

John Brooks Henderson moved to Missouri from Danville, Virginia, when a boy.  In 1861 Henderson was appointed a general in the Missouri militia, having been active in local politics in Pike County, Missouri.  Henderson’s military career was distinguished by a decision he made to negotiate with Missouri rebels in Callaway County.  At Wellsville, Montgomery County, Henderson agreed to terms offered by Col. Jefferson Jones to diffuse a confrontation there.  Jones would disband several hundred men he had assembled in defense of Callaway County if Henderson would agree not to invade the county with the Union troops at his disposal.  This incident in October, 1861, gave Callaway County its modern nickname, the “Kingdom” of Callaway.  Callawegians still revel in their short-lived sovereignty.

In 1862, Henderson was appointed to fill the unexpired term of a Missourian who was expelled by the U. S. Senate.  Henderson served in the Senate of the United States until 1869.  He is most remembered, when he is remembered at all, as the author and sponsor of the first draft of what would become the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution, abolishing slavery, which he introduced as a Joint Resolution of Congress in 1864.  In 1868, Henderson was one of seven Republicans in the Senate to vote against impeachment of President Andrew Johnson.  For this, Henderson earned mention in John Kennedy’s 1956 work, Profiles in Courage.  Like the other six, Henderson’s political future was ruined by this vote.

John Henderson met Mary Foote in Washington and they married in 1868, before he left the Senate.  They returned to Missouri, and lived there for twenty years, first in Louisiana, Missouri and later in St. Louis.  Although the Henderson’s were very successful during those years, the story that is told in Washington is that their wealth exploded when Missouri county bonds issued during the Civil War – thought to be worthless when the Hendersons purchased them at a deep discount – were redeemed by the federal government at face value.  Whatever the case, the Hendersons moved to Washington, D.C. in 1888, and built the magnificent castle on Sixteenth Street.

John Henderson died in Washington in 1913.  Mary passed away in 1931.

Mary Foote Henderson was born in Seneca Falls, New York, into a Connecticut family that included that state’s Governor Samuel Foote.  Samuel Foote’s son – Mary’s first cousin – was Civil War Admiral Andrew Foote.

Missouri Athletic Club

WHERE:  Missouri Athletic Club, 401 Washington Avenue, St. Louis.

WHEN:  April 13, 2011, 5:30 p.m.

The Missouri Athletic Club is hosting a dinner and book signing to commemorate the beginning of the Civil War sesquicentennial.  Highlights of the evening include a menu based upon the old Planter’s House Hotel and an appearance by U. S. Grant impersonator Scott Whitney.  A copy of Friend and Foe Alike will be supplied to all attendees, and the author will autograph books before the dinner begins at 6:30 p.m.  Cost, including dinner, gratuity, entertainment and book, is $50.  Proceeds benefit Missouri’s Civil War Heritage Foundation.

Kansas City Public Library

Presentation and Book Signing

Where:  Kansas City Public Libary – Plaza Branch.  4801 Main Street in Kansas City

When: April 20, 2011 6:30 p.m.

Books are available for purchase during the event.  Author will also sign books purchased at any location before the event.